CUF(F)LEY Place names.
1) CUFFLEY, Hertfordshire a hamlet in the parish of Northaw that became a commuter town with the arrival of the railway line the 'Hertfordshire loop line' in 1910.
2) CUFLEY Street, Omeo, Victoria, Australia named after RICHARD CUFLEY who emigrated to Australia in search of Gold and made his home in Omeo. It is perhaps sad that the local township have spelt his surname incorrectly (CUFFLEY) on the road sign although their own records spell it correctly as CUFLEY. Cufley Street/Cuffley Street.
3) CUFFLEY, Saskatchewan, Canada a small postal hamlet named after the postmaster Mr Cuffley. We have still to discover who this Mr Cuffley was and how long he lived in CUFFLEY.
4) 1624 field names map of Bilton, Northumberland (See Stan Beckensale's book 'Northumberland Field Names') in the archives of the Duke of Northumberland. Three fields called CUFLEY, Cufleys medow (sic) and East Cufleyes.
5) Boundaries of Land at Abbots Anne in Hampshire granted to the New Monastery by King Edward the Elder in the year 902 included 'then
East between Brengrave and Cufley, then out through Whorwell to the King's mark'.
Back to Top of page
Back to Index Page.
Last Revised: October 2012
Copyright ã David Cufley 2009-2012